About Me

My photo
Murrieta, CA, United States
I'm not a mini-van-driving Soccer Mom. Err, well - we can 86 the Soccer part. And the mini-van. So I'm a Mom and I drive. I am a former careeraholic. Although I no longer work outside the home, my working hours have increased significantly. I am currently negotiating my salary. I am married to the Navy... I mean a Naval Petty Officer. We have three boys ages 13, 10 & 4 and two kittens who literally think they are people. I don't believe in Religion. I believe in Jesus and respect others' Spiritual identification. My views on politics can be described in one word: "Shcmolitics". I am honest, sensitive and genuine. I don't refer to human beings as [blog] "Traffic" or "Followers". FYI: I don't sell Mary Kay Cosmetics any longer - so you're off the hook.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I Love Shoes Too Much To Walk On Eggshells

Why is it that with some people, it seems like I can never say/do the right thing?

Person #1:

Often complains about me not being interested in their job. It's not that I'm not interested, but I often don't understand the terminology. It's mainly made up of acronyms - many of which make no sense and often can't even be accurately defined by the people who regularly use them.

So I make an effort to ask more questions and take a more active interest. What happens? I'm criticized for not understanding or forgetting certain things. This person becomes pretty sarcastic, stating they 'shouldn't have to explain as it should be obvious'.

In other words, I'm intellectually challenged.

What can I do? If I don't ask this person about their day, I'm in the wrong. If I do ask, but don't have everything they've ever told me about their job memorized...I'm in the wrong. I could just pretend. I could nod and smile.

I *could* take notes next time this person (begrudgingly) explains a policy, procedure or acronym - but I'm not on the payroll. Besides, with two school-aged children, I've already had my fill of homework for the day.

Person #2:

This is a complicated one, but I have no idea why. This person is very opinionated and blunt. The tough thing is, if you don't take their opinion as gospel, you have a problem. Disagreeing is not tolerated.

Example: If I like a movie they don't care for, I can't talk about it. If they like a show I don't care for, too bad. I have to be quiet whilst they explain every character, scene and plot.

Then there's the problems and issues with every errand, task and person they've come into contact with that day, week, year or lifetime. I can't make a suggestion. I can't comment. I can only agree while they rant.

If I offer to help, I'm showing off in one way or another. If I don't offer, I don't care. If I try to defend myself either way, I'm lying. If I stand up for myself, it gets nasty and petty.

I can't remove either one of these people from my life. It seems like they expect me to be perfect, but I'm only me. I have my own thoughts and feelings...and I should be allowed to express them.

Besides, I love shoes too much to walk on eggshells.

What would you do?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you just have to be yourself, and the others will just have to understand.